In this unit, learners expand their understanding of the four operations (+ , – , ÷ and x). They will use previously learned skills and develop them in the context of multi-step problems. The learner will be introduced to long division and the correct order of operations when a calculation has multiple operations. Their knowledge of multiples and factors will be expanded, as will their reasoning about these known facts.
Year 6 Four Operations consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Four Operations 1 – I can solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in context, deciding which operations and methods to use and why.
- Four Operations 2 – I can multiply a multi-digit number up to four digits by a 2-digit number using the formal written method of long multiplication.
- Four Operations 3 – I can divide 4-digit numbers by 1-digit numbers using short division
- Four Operations 4 – I can divide 4-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers using factors
- Four Operations 5 – I can divide 4-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers using long division
- Four Operations 6 – I can identify common factors and common multiples.
- Four Operations 7 – I can; identify prime numbers; and identify square and cube numbers and use them to solve problems.
- Four Operations 8 – I can; use my knowledge of the order of operations to carry out calculations involving the four operations.