In this unit the learning focuses on further development of understanding of number, ordering, comparing and rounding numbers up to 1,000,000. Further work with negative numbers and counting back through zero develops confidence, and the learner will begin to recognise and use Roman numerals up to 1,000.
Year 5 Place Value consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Place Value 1 – I can read, write, order and compare numbers to at least 1,000,000 and
determine the value of each digit.
- Place Value 2 – I can; count forwards or backwards in steps of powers of 10 for any given
number up to 1,000,000; and count forwards and backwards in steps of multiples of 10.
- Place Value 3 – I can; interpret negative numbers in context; and count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers including through zero.
- Place Value 4 – I can round any number up to 1,000,000 to the nearest 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000
- Place Value 5 – I can read Roman numerals to 1000 (M) and recognise years written in Roman