In this unit, learners expand their understanding of addition and subtraction in order to mentally estimate answers to questions. They will use previously learned place value and rounding skills in order to check their calculations for obvious errors. They will continue to develop understanding of the relationship between addition and subtraction, and tackle multi-step problems.
Year 5 Addition and Subtraction consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Addition and Subtraction 1 – I can add and subtract mentally with increasingly large numbers.
- Addition and Subtraction 2 – I can add whole numbers with more than 4-digits using the column method.
- Addition and Subtraction 3 – I can subtract whole numbers with more than 4-digits using the column
- Addition and Subtraction 4 – I can; round to estimate or approximate an answer; and use the inverse operation to check an answer.
- Addition and Subtraction 5 – I can; solve multi-step addition and subtraction problems.