Having worked with 3-digit numbers and developed an understanding of finding 1, 10 and 100 more than a number during Year 3 place value work, this unit moves on to numbers up to 10,000. The learner will again encounter ordering and comparing numbers, and will further consolidate their understanding of partitioning. They will also be introduced to rounding numbers and negative numbers, as well meeting Roman numerals up to a value of 100.
Year 4 Place Value consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Place Value 1 – I can; recognise the place value of each digit in a four digit number (thousands,
hundreds, tens and ones); and partition numbers to help and show my understanding.
- Place Value 2 – I can round any number to the nearest 10, 100 or 1000.
- Place Value 3 – I can; count in multiples of 100 and 1,000; find 1,000 more and 1,000 less than a given number; and count in multiples of 25.
- Place Value 4 – I can order and compare numbers beyond 1,000.
- Place Value 5 – I can; identify, represent and estimate numbers using different representations; use a number line; and order and compare numbers beyond 1,000.
- Place Value 6 – I can count backwards through zero to include negative numbers.
- Place Value 7 – I can read Roman numerals to 100 (C).