Learners are introduced to numbers greater than 100 and develop skills and methods for adding and subtracting using 2– and 3-digit numbers. They begin with adding or subtracting a 1-digit number from a 3-digit number but progress to adding and subtracting 3-digit numbers to and from each other. In this unit the learner also finds out about estimating, and checking answers, important skills to ensure that they avoid unnecessary mistakes.
Year 3 Addition and Subtraction consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Addition and Subtraction 1 – I can; add and subtract a 3-digit number and ones mentally; and add and subtract using a formal written column method.
- Addition and Subtraction 2 – I can; subtract a 1-digit number from a 3-digit number; and use exchange in column subtraction.
- Addition and Subtraction 3 – I can add and subtract multiples of 10 and 100 to and from 3-digit numbers.
- Addition and Subtraction 4 – I can add and subtract a 2-digit number to and from a 3-digit number.
- Addition and Subtraction 5 – I can add and subtract 3-digit numbers to and from each other.
- Addition and Subtraction 6 – I can estimate the answer to a calculation and use inverse operations to check answers.