In this unit the learner will learn to recognise money, and the associated symbols of £ and p. They will begin to know the value of coins and notes and understand how to make total amounts in different ways. Applying their understanding of addition and subtraction, the learner will combine amounts to find a new total, and find the difference between amounts. This leads the learner to finding the change when an item is paid for with a coin/note of a greater value.
Year 2 Money consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Money 1 – I can: understand the symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p); and recognise amounts of money when shown images of coins or notes.
- Money 2 – I can: recognise amounts represented by different combinations of notes and coins; make specified amounts of money using notes and coins; and make totals using different combinations of coins and notes.
- Money 3 – I can: recognise and select given amounts of money; and compare amounts of money.
- Money 4 – I can: use my addition skills to add different amounts of money; and apply addition to solve problems involving money.
- Money 5 – I can: find the difference between different amounts of money; and use my understanding of finding the difference to give change.