In this unit the learning focuses on developing understanding of number, particularly place value, which will underpin a later understanding of calculations using the four operations. Counting plays a major role in this unit as learners develop their understanding of numbers up to at least 100. They will also be able to compare numbers.
Year 2 Place Value consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Place Value 1 – I can; read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and words; understand tens and ones in a two-digit number; and use number facts to solve problems.
- Place Value 2 – I can; understand tens and ones in a two-digit number; identify and represent numbers using a place value grid; use number facts to solve problems; and count in tens.
- Place Value 3 – I can; identify and represent numbers using place value grids and part-whole
models; and use number facts to solve problems.
- Place Value 4 – I can; identify, represent and estimate numbers using a number line; and use number facts to solve problems.
- Place Value 5 – I can; compare numbers using mathematical language; and compare objects and numbers using symbols.
- Place Value 6 – I can count in steps of 2, 3 and 5 from 0, and in tens forwards and backwards
from any given number.