In this unit, learners apply their understanding of known addition and subtraction facts within 20, and derive and use related facts to support work with 2-digit numbers. They will develop understanding of the relationship between addition and subtraction, and the purpose of the equals, addition and subtraction signs. This is supported through links between representations, such as the part whole model and bar model, and moves on to addition and subtraction with exchange.
Year 2 Addition and Subtraction consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Addition and Subtraction 1 – I can; recall and use addition and subtraction facts to 20 fluently; add and subtract numbers using objects and pictorial representations; and use the inverse relationship between addition and subtraction.
- Addition and Subtraction 2 – I can; recall and use addition and subtraction facts to 20 fluently, and derive and use related facts up to 100; and compare number sentences using symbols.
- Addition and Subtraction 3 – I can recognise and use number bonds to 100.
- Addition and Subtraction 4 – I can; add and subtract 1 to and from a given number; and solve problems using addition and subtraction.
- Addition and Subtraction 5 – I can add one-digit to two-digit numbers.
- Addition and Subtraction 6 – I can; subtract a 1 one-digit number from a two-digit number; and exchange tens for ones to help me subtract numbers.
- Addition and Subtraction 7 – I can add two, 2-digit numbers.
- Addition and Subtraction 8 – I can subtract a 2-digit number from a 2-digit number.