During this unit the learner develops place value skills within 10 (i.e. using numbers up to 10). While they also look at numbers within 20 and within 100 during Year 1 learning, the initial focus within 10 allows them to apply some of their skills in the next unit (Addition and Subtraction). Learners will practise identifying and representing numbers, counting to 10, finding one more and one less than a number, and reading and writing numbers in numerals and words.
Year 1 Place Value consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Place Value 1 – I can sort and count objects. I can identify and represent numbers using objects and pictures.
- Place Value 2 – I can count to ten. I can count forwards and backwards to and from numbers within 10.
- Place Value 3 – I can identify one more and one less than a given number.
- Place Value 4 – I can compare groups of objects using mathematical language.
- Place Value 5 – I can order numbers and groups of objects.