In this Addition and Subtraction unit, learners look at the partitioning of numbers before developing an understanding of addition through number bonds within and to 10. This is then built on with adding together numbers and adding more to a number before links are made between addition and subtraction. Further subtraction is then encountered as the learner develops the skills of counting back and finding the difference.
Year 1 Addition and Subtraction consists of:
- Parent/tutors guide
- Addition and Subtraction 1 – I can; read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition; understand the part-whole model; and know what the addition symbol means.
- Addition and Subtraction 2 – I can; represent and use number bonds within 10; read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+) and equals (=) signs; and add single digit numbers to 10, including zero.
- Addition and Subtraction 3 – I can; combine two groups to find a total; and use counting on to find ’how many more’.
- Addition and Subtraction 4 – I can subtract 1-digit numbers, including zero; I know that subtraction is the opposite (the inverse) of addition.
- Addition and Subtraction 5 – I can; add and subtract one-digit numbers to and from 10, including zero; and represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 10.
- Addition and Subtraction 6 – I can make comparisons between 2 calculations and values.